During this time of Covid and political unrest and homeschooling and uncertainty many people have decided to upgrade their homes with resort style amenities. From the simplest to the most elaborate, there is a way for everyone to have a place of calm and peace in their own home. Here are some of the trends we have seen in no particular order.
- Swimming Pools – many people are thinking of relaxation, fitness, and entertainment with a pool in the backyard. This can take some real conviction because digging a pool is not cheap. It takes a lot of maintenance, and can be dangerous. You need to be a good swimmer and practice a lot of safety. This could mean a pool fence to keep children and pets out, or a cover for the pool. But the benefits can far outweigh the drawbacks.
- Spas – if you have tricky terrain or not enough space for a pool, a spa can be just the thing. You will still need to fiddle with the chemicals to keep algae from growing, and it can still be a danger, but the relaxation of hot water and massaging jets is a real draw for many people especially at the end of a hard day. A spa can be part of a larger deck space, or stand alone on level ground.
- Home Gyms – for many folks, getting an endorphin high is the remedy after a stressful day. Creating a home gym with a Peloton bike, yoga space, total gym, or just free weights can help with day to day mood. Best of all, it can move with you if you move from one home to another.
- Meditation spaces – what better way to deal with everyday stresses than to create your own peaceful corner for meditation. This can be as simple as a pillow in the corner, or as elaborate as an entire room. The trick is to set the mood which can be done with intention or with clever placement of objects to help you center and relax.
- Calming Paint – probably the most cost effective spa upgrade you can make to your home is to paint with soothing colors, especially in rooms where you expect to relax like your bedroom.
- Bathrooms – bathroom remodels to include soaking tubs, massaging showers, or steam showers are another trend we have seen. If you don’t have the space for a spa, you can get some really amazing bathtubs now with jets of water which can be the next best thing. These are easier on maintenance as you drain them each time so you don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals and algae growth. You can add a bath bomb or Epsom salts for that extra spa level.
- Saunas – these rooms can help you to sweat out toxins and can be perfectly paired with a pool for a quick plunge when you are done. This is a tricky one as a d.i.y. Project so you might want to hire a professional or buy a ready made sauna from a reputable company.
If you are one of the many people who could use a little bit more calm in their lives right now, make sure you do some planning before your project, even if it is as small as new paint or a meditation space. Thoughtful spaces are much more calming than something thrown together. You can also add value to your home with many of these upgrades, and that’s a calming thought too.